Thursday, January 21, 2010

Go Morgan Freeman, Go World


I would say it is universally understood that Morgan Freeman is a good actor, nay a great actor. There is a comfort, a confidence, an authenticity that seem to continually follow him around, and not to mention a voice that almost rivals that of David McCullough. However, regardless of his great roles and portrayals, his best work can be witnessed every two years around this time. I am not an overly emotional person, but every time Morgan gets on the tube to narrate the Visa Olympic commercials, I find myself repeatedly blinking those stories of triumph out of my eyes and unsuccessfully trying to swallow that lump forming in my throat. I love the olympics and I love an Olympic commercial. My appreciation for the games was not fully realized until i was living in Utah during the 2002 games. During our week off, I found myself glued to the television, and for a moment became an expert on events i previously hadn't even heard of or people i didn't know existed. The Olympics is a time where despite who is president, or what political party you belong to, or religion you believe, or your socioeconomic status, or whatever separates us and makes us hate one another, we can all love where we come from, and love where we don't come from as well. Morgan said it best when he stated, "we come together to stand, to cheer, and celebrate as one. We forget all the things that make us different and remember all the things that make us the same." oh i can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment