Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Women be Wise


I had a bridal shower with the girls before i came to Oregon and it was wonderful. Laura dressed up like john and nailed it - sweatsuit, swim cap, duh perfect. We did a lot of eating, chatty chatting, and then played that question game - you know, where a question is asked about John which he has already answered and then i try my darnedest to answer similarly. Really it's just a game to expose how little you really know about each other and that a mere year and a half courtship was probably too short. However, I did answer two questions correctly - take a trip anywhere and what he loves most about me - which clearly is how GD competitive I am, who doesn't love that about me? Next was the shower in Corvally with a 2 old besties from high school and all the ladies who watched me grow up. It was quite wonderful as well. They all gave me advice how to best put up with men. It came down to a lot of jokes on their behalf which is always fun when they aren't there to defend themselves.

I'm lucky to have so many girls, women, and females in general in my life who are incredible people. I've been fortunate to always have a couple close gf's who are there to watch my back and a plethora of others who are always willing dance, listen, and giggle. There is nothing quite like a band of women rooting each other on. My religion does a really great job of encouraging this - bonding women together through a sense of service and understanding. I'm excited to live with this boy, it's going to be a blast but a part of me is sad to bid farewell to nearly a decade of living with my fellow gender. However, I'm glad that having female cohorts is strongly embedded into my being and that won't change after marriage. And to you men, be wary of the girl who says she "just doesn't get along with girls" for there is clearly something a little amiss with her. We are a strong breed, difficult at times, headstrong, stubborn, and seemingly overly emotional but we are the movers and shakers, the constants, the compassionates, and ohhh how we love to laugh. I love us.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely and so very well written.

    You're an easy gal to live with, John is so very lucky. Don't forget to remind him of this -- I certainly haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Dave is worried it's going to be my new anthem. Everytime he questions anything I do now I'll simply smile and say, "Because we are the movers and shakers."

    End of discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to you men, be wary of the girl who says she "just doesn't get along with girls" for there is clearly something a little amiss with her.

    Amen to that. You'll be missed, ktown!

    ReplyDelete